Fr. Andreas Amrhein, OSB founded the Missionary
Congregation of monks. He founded
Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing to
help in the mission
work in the following year,
1906 - The first five German Sisters: M.
Keller, Sr. Crescentia Veser, Sr.
and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer
Philippine soil on September 14, the Feast of
the Exaltation of
The first school in
a windowless wagon-shed along
Tondo opened for the first three
December 3. The first enrolment was 8
children (2 boys
and 6 girls) from well-to-do families
and 50 boys and
girls in the "Free School."
FR. ANDREAS AMRHEIN, OSB
Founder of the Missionary Benedictine Congregation of monks
Christmas eve of 1907, they moved to
#134 San Marcelino Street
1907 - The Sisters transferred from Morioness
to their new home
in San Marcelino Street. The
lot was donated by
the Most Rev. Jeremias
Archbishop of Manila.
1909 - Government recognition was granted to
school with the
The Conservatory of Music was opened by Sr.
OSB which pioneered music
education in the
1914 - Construction of the new building
started on a bigger
church lot in
Singalong offered by Archbishop Harty. At
early dawn on the
day before Christmas, the Sisters,
together with some
student boarders, moved to the new
1919 - The first 3 AB students graduated.
1925 - The Educational Survey Commission and the Board of
named St. Scholastica's College one of
the two schools
maintaining the "highest standards with
physical plant, equipment, teaching
methods of instruction."
house in Singalong in 1912, while the school building was under construction
Battig, founder of
the Music Department in
SSC in her younger days
as a concert pianist in
1942 - St. Scholastica's College was sealed as "property of
Part of the school was converted into a
hospital and the
school became a sanctuary for people who
suffered from the
terrors of war.
1945 - On February 13, an incendiary bomb set St. Cecilia's
Music on fire. The other buildings were also
razed to the
ground. All the buildings were gone except the
structures: the free school, the old home
- After a period of reconstruction and renewal, the
its doors to the students. The
pursued goal was
FINISHED WOMEN OF
1957 - The school was granted its first
Accrediting Association of Schools,
Universities (PAASCU) and was made
a chartered member
of the association.
1975 - St. Scholastica's College declared its
commitment to social justice and peace, drew up a
statement on the
components of a socially-oriented school and adopted the theme:
1985 - An Introductory Course in
WOMEN'S STUDIES was incorporated in all
Institute of Women's Studies (IWS) was established and an eco-
feminism model farm
was put up in Mendez, Cavite.
2006 - St. Scholastica's College turned 100
The National Historical Institute (NHI) approved the
unveiling of the historical marker
school's 100 year history.
2009 - SSC articulated its
thrust for the next decade: A WOMEN'S COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
More on the SSC Timeline